Saturday, July 5, 2008

berlin retrospective







So I thought I should include a few pics of my time in Berlin with Karen. It was a fabulously inspiring, crazy full week of meeting some incredibly inspiring people. I'm now in Krakow but wanted to post some of the moments of my past week before I went into my observations here in Poland.

Euro Cup has been happening for the past few weeks and I ended up at this place called Tante Khate, a former death strip - area between the two walls that made up the Berlin wall. It was so ironic and interesting to sit cheering on Germany on this site.

Another highlight was going to all the makeshift arts spaces. There seems to be a trend of using spaces quite imaginatively. Old buildings are turned into gallery spaces, cafes and installations. And people seem genuinely conscious of the location in which they do these things and how this affects their response to the site. I met a group of guys doing really interesting work in a place they call Skulpturenpark. No sculptures actually exist on the site. Instead it sits as an area where artists are able to respond site-specifically to its location. And like Tante Khate, it too was once a death strip. Now it looks like an overgrown green belt.

Then there are these bizarre beach cafes everywhere. It seems that the Germans enjoy the idea of 'chilling' out by the sea. So despite being in the centre of a city, you can find yourself on a fold out chair overlooking the river with sand beneath your feet! Karen and I had a great moment chilling next to the river on a boat with others sunning themselves next to us.

No comments: